Sunday, September 23, 2012

Creating Compassion



From drought, extreme heat, flooding, or earthquakes, we have to admit that natural disasters affect thousands of communities every year. Thus, I will preface this blog by stating that I do not and I have never taught Earth science, thus some of my ideas may be way off base.    
To help build more scientifically literate compassionate students, one idea I have would entail having my students’ interview survivors of natural disasters.   From these interviews, I would then have them create a video biography detailing that person’s story. I hope that by having my students conduct these interviews they would experience first hand how natural disasters change "real" peoples lives.
To help students study current disasters, I would probably develop lessons that help my students become “weather watchers”.  To assist students in gaining an appreciation of these weather phenomena, I would probably ask a local college to allow some of their meteorology students to come and mentor my students.  Having these students in the classroom would provide my students’ with a real world, hands-on learning environment.   Meteorology students would be able to better explain the science behind forecasting weather and natural disasters. As students gained proficiency in forecasting weather and weather patterns, I would assign students as my “weekly weather watchers”.  Their job would be to work with their mentor to forecast any impending natural disasters that would be occurring around the world.  From this information students could lead discussions into how serve the disaster may be and what assistance would be helpful.
One of the easiest ways that students can contribute when natural disasters  occur is by organizing donations from their fellow students and community members.  These donations may be in the form of clothing, non-perishable food, water, or monetary donations. 
I found this really interesting website that provides resources for helping students to become more caring and giving in the wake of natural disasters.  
 Check it out http://learningtogive.org/lessons/disaster_relief/ 


6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Thanks so much for the link to the Learning to Give site; I had not seen this before, and I love that it includes lesson plans! I wanted to suggest the site:

    http://www.dosomething.org/

    You (and/or your students) can search for different causes they are interested in, both locally and internationally. One word of caution is that the site is geared towards older students, and some of the articles may reflect this at times. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      Thanks for the link, it looks really interesting and I loved all f the options that it provided. I was really interested in the "causes" tab, it had some really interesting causes (bullying, animals, and the environment). This website is one that I will definitely share with my fellow colleagues. Thanks
      Candace

      Delete
  2. Teaching compassion is very difficult, I find. Teaching the science behind disasters is such a great place to start in having students place themselves in the moment. Using technology, such as YouTube, Discovery Education and other Internet sources can help connect our young learners these concepts.

    Thank you for the link. I have witnessed students who have very little give more than we ever could imagine. Continuing to encourage this behavior is a beautiful thing.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, I hope that it can inspire us to become more caring and compassionate.
      Candace

      Delete
  3. Interviewing individuals that have experienced natural disasters is a great way for our students to understand what they went through, and how it impacted their lives. The stories, I'm sure, will be detailed and passionate, feeling like it happened yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patrick,
      Thanks, I agree, students love t hear themselves talk and this would give them the opportunity to see first hand how natural disasters affect others.
      Thanks

      Delete