Sunday, April 8, 2012

21st Century Learning


21st century skills are those skills that we recognize are necessary for our youth to have so that they can compete in the global marketplace. These skills should help our students to become open minded, technically savvy, effective researchers, problem solvers, inventive thinkers, and world class learners, just to name a few. I have selected several websites, which I believe, will assist students student in developing the necessary 21st century skills. One of my favorite tool or websites is BBC bitesize, http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize. BBC bitesize provides a variety of activities that can be used in the science classroom. This website has many interactive activities that students can use individually or collaboratively that will catch students’ interest. This website also provides activities, games and test that students can take on different science concepts. Another tool that I like to use is the PhET websitehttp://phet.colorado.edu/  , this interactive website provides students with numerous fun simulation that replicate natural, physical phenomena. Teachers can create their own lab to go along with the PhET simulations or they can use some lessons that have already been created. A third tool/website that I think can be used to encourage students 21st century skills is the explore learning GIZMO website, http://www.explorelearning.com/index.cfm?method=cResource.dspView&ResourceID=651&ClassID=2140263. This website is similar to PhET but, with an expanded array of simulations. Using this tool, teachers, can pick an activity based in standards, grade level, or interest. Some of the simulations can be used as guided inquiry activities and others can be done in a more structured inquiry format. Both of the simulation websites lend themselves to allow students to have authentic scientific experiences in the classroom. Students can work at their own pace, and they can revisit and redo labs to enhance understanding. 
There were so many great tools that I feel are useful, it was hard to pick just one, so I have added a list of some others that you may wish to check out.
***Another website that I know  would be helpful to teachers is http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com/Science+and+Social+Studies+Resources, check this resource out it has so many tools that you can incorporate into your classroom.  It is well organized and you can find almost anything you need on it.  It has a special place for science teacher in the teacher resource section.
 When comparing and contrasting take a look at this website, it has some interesting comparisons http://www.diffen.com/.
Also if you use You tube videos you might want to try this website http://www.splicd.com/, it allows you to cut and splice You tube videos.
Still another great tool that students can use in the classroom is http://www.masher.com/index.jsp, this website allows students mix video clips, pictures and music into one production.  I have allowed my student to use this software when making presentations and they have had a blast.
Another tool that helps students make great presentations is http://prezi.com/, it is similar to PowerPoint but, it is on-line. 
Again I love BBC’s bitesize, have your students check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/games/questionaut/, students’ journey through different worlds and test their knowledge of science, math, and English.
 
I believe the tools that I have found will help my students blend technology and science education. Integrating these two components will help student become more technically savvy while allowing me to personalize some of my instruction based on my students’ preferred learning style. In addition, I also believe that incorporating these tools will encourage them to become more effective on-line researchers.
I recently used the PhET wave simulation to help my students see the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. As part of the lab, students created graphs of their results, which they then shared with the class. Using data from the lab students determined the different relationships and then they discussed their findings in a whole class setting.
A major challenge to helping student become more technology driven is their lack of resources at home.  This has been a recurring challenging for me this year, with many of my students not having computers or internet access at home.  Another major challenges that I believe I may face when using these tools, is getting students to really think about the problem.  Too often, students are use to simply finding the answer, they are not use to having to synthesize and analyze data, and then construct meaning from this data.  As I progress forward, I am looking for ways to help build my students critical thinking and deduction skills. 

  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree that the lack of resources at home is one obstacle to student achievement. I also have this problem at school where I have 2 working desktop computers for 25 third grade students.

    I like the idea of using the Prezi site! I saw a presentation at a professional development workshop where the speaker used this format to present her material. However, I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it in your blog! I think that this tool can be adapted to be used in so many ways. As we know, communication is an important part of science education. Using this type of tool is one way to increase student motivation and participation when it comes to communicating about science. One suggestion is to have small groups work together to create a presentation using the Prezi site instead of an oral presentation. This can be done about any topic! In my grade level, students are expected to do projects such as report on a habitat, etc. Instead of making a poster or writing a report, students could use this tool and gain experience using technology.

    ReplyDelete